Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine
Mission & Vision
The LAU Gilbert & Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine’s mission is to educate and train a new generation of physicians, superbly trained in the art and science of medicine and who believe profoundly that a physician is, above all, a merciful healer.
Vision of a “New Physician”
While Lebanese, regional, and global needs and opportunities and the university’s Strategic Plan all support a promising vision for the new medical school at LAU, the truly inspiring drive for such a school is the opportunity to educate and train a unique new medical graduate. The abiding character of the School is determined by the kind of physician it graduates. Indeed, the Gilbert & Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine at LAU has been conceived and designed to create a new physician, one who is superbly trained in the skills of 21st century medicine but who also believes deeply that a physician is, above all, a merciful healer.
The integrated curriculum — with its reliance on small group, self-directed, patient-based learning and its emphasis on the patient, rather than the disease — develops the depth of character and the insight into human nature required of the graduating physician. The School vision has been integrated in the pre-medical requirements by including philosophy, history, literature, religious studies, music, and art.
The medical school curriculum also encompasses requirements for competencies in areas in which doctors today find themselves significantly challenged. The first is “Money.” The intrusion of “money” into the medical profession remains a major challenge for most doctors. Unfortunately, mixing business with medicine has too often detracted from the status of the profession and, more ominously, its mission. At LAU, the role of money in the practice of medicine is addressed during medical training. In collaboration with the LAU Adnan Kassar School of Business, curricular offerings addressing aspects of finance and business which impact on the medical profession are required of LAU medical students.
In collaboration with the LAU School of Pharmacy and School of Nursing, the medical school requires its graduates to be well versed in, self-confident, and ethically transparent in their professional interactions with the pharmaceutical industry, and with emerging global therapeutic and healing trends and technologies.
A third area of emphasis is the fostering of skills aimed at preparing students to meet the “changing science and practice of medicine as life-long learners.” Self -improvement and critical thinking are crucial for this process, and as such are thoroughly incorporated in the School’s curriculum.
Michel Mawad, M.D.
Zeinat Hijazi, M.D., Medical Education
- Sola Bahous, M.D., Ph.D., Clinical Affairs
- Rajaa Chatila, M.D., Graduate Medical Education
- Tony Zreik, M.D., Business Development
- Vanda Abi Raad, M.D., Continuing Medical Education
- Alain Sabri, M.D., Faculty Development
- Adnan Awdeh, M.D., Surgery Interim
- Elie Abi Nader, M.D., Anesthesiology Acting
- Noha Bejjani, M.D., Pathology Acting
- Nicolas Ghazi, M.D., Ophtalmology
- Hussein Farhat, M.D., Laboratory Medicine Acting
- Daniel Mahfoud, M.D., Radiology Acting
- Zeina Tannous, M.D., Dermatology
- Gerard Wakim, M.D., Pediatrics Acting
- Alain Sabri, M.D., Ear, Nose & Throat
- Jacques Mokhbat, M.D., Internal Medicine
- Tony Zreik, M.D., M.B.A., Obstetrics and Gynecology
Faculty & Staff
- Zeinat Hijazi, M.D. Associate Dean for Medical Education
- Jacques Mokhbat, M.D. Chair, Internal Medicine
- Tony Zreik, M.D., M.B.A., Assistant Dean for Business Development and Chair, Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Vanda Yazbeck Karam Abi Raad, M.D., MHPE, Director of the Clinical Simulation Center, Program Director of Anesthesia
- Rechdi Ahdab, M.D., PhD, Clerkship Director of Neurology
- Riad Azar, M.D., Head of the Division of Gastroenterology
- Sola Bahous, M.D., Ph.D.
- Rajaa Chatila, M.D., Residency Program Director of Internal Medicine
- Marie-Louise, Coussa-Koniski, M.D., Head of the Division of Pulmonary Diseases
- Marie Deeb, Ph.D.
- Zeina Tannous El Hakim, M.D.
- Georges Ghanem, M.D., FACC, FESC, Head of the Division of Cardiology
- Rita Ghannam Nemr, M.D.
- Tony Hayek, M.D.
- Kamal Hirbli, M.D., Head of the Division of Endocrinology
- Joseph Naoum, M.D.
- Selim Nasser, M.D.
- Naji Riachi, M.D., Director of the EEG/ EMG Lab
- Roula Husni Samaha, M.D., Head of the Division of Infectious Diseases, Head of the Infection Control Program
- Salim Zeineh, M.D., Head of the Division of Urology
- Fayez Francois Abillama, M.D., Acting Head of the Division of ICU, Director of Inhalation Therapy Services
- Elie Abi Nader, M.D.
- Khalil Abi Nader, M.D.
- Aniella Abi Gerges, Ph.D.
- Chahine Assi, M.D., Acting Head of the Division of Orthopedic Surgery
- Adnan Awdeh, M.D., Clerkship Director of Surgery
- Hanan Barakat, M.D., Clerkship Director of Anesthesiology
- Carmel Bouclaous, Ph.D.
- Nancy Chedid, M.D.
- Ibrahim Dunya, M.D.
- Malko Dunya, M.D.
- Joelle El-Amm, M.D.
- Nadia El-Asmar, M.D. Director of Primary Care Clerkship, Director of OSCE and Clinical Skills Program, Associate Director, Clinical Simulation Center
- Julie El Ferzli, M.D.
- Lena El Hachem, M.D.
- Joe El Khoury, M.D., Acting Head of the Division of Interventional Therapeutics
- Hussein Farhat, M.D.
- Anna Farra, M.D., Ph.D.
- Wissam Faour, Ph.D., Coordinator, School of Medicine Research Laboratories
- Hady Ghanem, M.D.
- Abeer Hani, M.D.
- Carole Hamalian, M.D.
- Ziad Hubayter, M.D.
- Albert Karam, M.D.
- Alfred Khoury, M.D.
- Raghid Kikano, M.D.
- Hala Kilany, M.D.
- Mahfoud, Daniel, M.D.
- Maroun Matar, M.D., Acting Head of the Division of Neonatology, Clerkship Director of Pediatrics
- Rima Nasser, M.D.
- Anis Nassif, M.D., Vice Chair of the Department of Radiology
- Joseph Stephan, Ph.D.
- Rami Saade, M.D.
- Walid Tarcha, M.D.
- Gerard Wakim, M.D.
- Nazih Youssef, M.D., Clerkship Director of Surgery, Program Director of Urology
- Khairat Abbas, M.D.
- Mohamed Abou Ghazal, M.D.
- Yara Al Jalbout, M.D.
- Caroline Chahine, M.D.
- Noha Bejjani Doueihi, M.D., Clerkship Director of Pathology
- Antoine Ferzli, M.D.
- Bassam Gerges, M.D.
- Mariana Helou, M.D.
- Tamina Rizk, M.D.
- Rania Sakr, M.D.
- Mohammad Shehade, M.D.
- Joseph Yammine, M.D.
- Pamela Abou Khalil, M.S., Senior Science Lab Technician
- Rana Abboud Abi Saad, Teaching Diploma, Medical Education Administrator
- Rebecca Assaf, M.S., Assistant Medical Education Administrator
- Hadil Attieh, B.S., Medical Education Lead Officer, Office of Clinical Affairs
- Rudy Bahri, BSN, DESM, MBA, Clinical Simulation Lab Coordinator
- May Chahine, B.A., Academic Assistant, Office of the Dean
- Nelly El-Chammas, DHQM, BSN, Senior Clinical Simulation Lab Coordinator
- Elsy El-Khoury, MBA, Assistant Medical Education Administrator
- Roula Faour, MBA, Lead Executive Assistant, Office of the Dean
- Maysoon Naaman, B.S., Medical Education Lead Officer, Office of Medical Education
- Lama Naim, M.S., Lead Program Administrator
- Angelique Salloum, M.S., Assessment Officer
- Rania Sobh, Licence Technique, Lead Science Lab Supervisor
- Kayane Tashjian, M.P.H., Junior Program Administrator, Graduate Medical Education