The LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine seeks students who demonstrate academic excellence and a commitment to the values of the medical profession and to the values of our school as expressed in our mission.
Our educational program nurtures and develops these values and the competencies set in our curriculum. Our alumni have had great success in securing residency training positions and other postgraduate pursuits, and now carry on our school’s mission in Lebanon and around the globe.
The class starting Med I in September 2022 should expect graduation with an M.D. in 2026.
Admission to the school of medicine normally is based on a composite evaluation of the following criteria: (See comments* below regarding exceptional requirements for the class starting in September 2021).
- Competitive overall grade average and GPA score on graduation with a bachelor’s degree,
- Competitive grades on the Core Courses* in science,
- Competitive scores on the MCAT* examination (The MCAT may be taken twice only; the highest grades will be considered), and
- Performance on the admission interview: Students with satisfactory academic achievements and MCAT scores will be selected for an interview.
*Following the suspension of the MCAT administration in Lebanon, and the recent announcement by the AAMC that MCAT exams will not be administered in Lebanon before March 2021, the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine waived the MCAT score in the selection for the 2021-2022 Medicine Year. The school used the scores of the cumulative GPA, the core GPA, and interviews in making decisions for admission. Going forward, the School of Medicine will continue to monitor the status of MCAT administration and will make decisions regarding admission criteria accordingly. Should the MCAT remain suspended, the school will most likely waive it as a requirement for the coming cycle (class to begin Med I in the fall of 2022). Such a decision would be revisited, pending future updates on MCAT testing from the AAMC.
*Applicants may not take the Pass/No Pass (P/NP) option for any required premedical Core Courses, starting with the fall 2020 semester. Core Courses that were taken with the P/NP option in the spring or summer 2020 term, and elective courses taken with the P/NP option in any term, will be accepted with the application. However, P/NP courses may not exceed 20% of the student’s bachelor’s degree total number of credits.
Required Science Core Courses:
- BIO201 General Biology I (4 cr.)
- BIO202 General Biology II (4 cr.) [prerequisite: BIO201]
- CHM201 Chemical Principles (3 cr.) [prerequisite: CHM101 or equivalent]
- BIO321 Genetics (3 cr.) [prerequisites: BIO201 and BIO202]
- BCH301 Biochemistry (4 cr.) [prerequisite: BIO201]
- CHM311 Organic Chemistry I (3 cr.) [prerequisite: CHM201]
- CHM312 Organic chemistry II (3 cr.) [prerequisite: CHM311]
- CHM313 Organic Chemistry I Lab (1 cr.) [pre- or co-requisite: CHM201]
- CHM314 Organic Chemistry II Lab (1 cr.) [prerequisite: CHM311 and Lab. pre- or co-requisite: CHM312]
- PHY301 Classical Physics for Life Sciences (3 cr.) [prerequisite: MTH200]
- PHY302 Classical Physics for Life Sciences Lab (1 cr.) [pre- or co-requisite: PHY301]
- PHY305 Modern Physics for Life Sciences (3 cr.) [prerequisite: MTH200]
- PHY306 Modern Physics for Life Sciences Lab (1 cr.) [pre- or co-requisite: PHY305]
Applicants are encouraged to APPLY ONLINE for streamlined processing.
To apply for the class entering in fall 2022, please select academic year 2022-2023. Applicants may upload supporting documents and may pay the application fee (in Lebanese pounds or U.S. dollars) using the online system or the bank payment as per the instructions in the online application.
If you prefer, you may download the application form in PDF format and complete it electronically or in hard copy, according to the included instructions.
Dates to Remember
Early Acceptances: To be considered for early acceptances, applications must be received by January 15, 2022. Early acceptances will be issued in February-March 2022. Students who were not selected for early acceptances and still qualify for interview, will be considered for regular acceptances.
Regular Acceptances: Applications must be received by March 31, 2022. Acceptances will normally be issued over the period of April to June 2022.
Going forward, the School of Medicine will continue to monitor the status of MCAT administration and will make decisions regarding admission criteria accordingly. Should the MCAT remain suspended, the school will most likely waive it as a requirement for the coming cycle (class to begin Med I in the fall of 2022). Such a decision would be revisited, pending future updates on MCAT testing from the AAMC.
Financial Aid Application Deadline
March 31, 2022
Class starting in Fall 2022
- Orientation day: August 23, 2021.
- First day of classes: August 23, 2021.
Please note that dates may be subject to change.
Interviews are granted to selected applicants after the School Admissions Committee has reviewed all completed applications and made its recommendations.
Merit scholarships are offered to top-ranking accepted students who applied for early acceptance.
Tuition and Financial Aid (Student Loans)
Students enrolled in a given academic year pay the same yearly tuition fee for the four years of medical study. You may check this link for additional information.
Policy of Fair and Equal Treatment in Admissions
The LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine is fully committed to considering applications from prospective students in a consistent manner and without prejudice regardless of their nationality, race, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, disability or social background.
The school of medicine has the responsibility of ensuring that its graduates meet standards of professional conduct and responsibility. Therefore, all candidates for admission are expected to be competitive in academic and personal dimensions and to meet the school’s Technical Standards (available on request).
For any inquiries regarding admissions, kindly contact us:
Telephone: +961 9 547262, Ext: 2133
Fax: +961 9 546560
Winter office hours (September - May): From 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
Summer office hours (June -August): From 7:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.