The Minor in Art History offers students an introduction to various theories underlying the creative process, focusing primarily on the historical movements in painting, graphic art, photography and sculpture. The courses in this minor variously explore the multiple roles images and objects have played over time, how they functioned in various social and cultural contexts, and whose purposes they served. The minor will provide students with an opportunity to choose form a set of courses, and to complement their major course of study in any discipline.
The mission of the Minor in Art History is to provide the opportunity for all LAU students to expand the scope of their studies to include an appreciation of art’s integral role in the social, historical, and cultural development of civilization. In line with the university’s broad liberal arts approach to education, the field of Art History opens creative potentials to enhance the diverse major studies of students at LAU.
The Minor in Art History aims to:
- offer an environment in which students can develop critical and aesthetic awareness of the historical importance of art and visual culture.
- provide students with the contextual knowledge and specialized vocabulary necessary to engage in the world of art.
- expose students to a broad range of cultural practices by employing diverse methodologies and approaches to art history.
Upon completion of the Minor in Art History, students will be able to:
- recognize key visual components, theoretical bases, and critical approaches and how they lead to the construction of meaning within art history narratives,
- understand the ways that ideals, thoughts, and philosophies are manifested and expressed through artistic production,
- articulate the various developments of visual art and their relationships with social, cultural, religious, and political forces throughout history,
- write critical essays that analyze different works of art with respect to their historical contexts.
A total of 18 credits are required to graduate with a Minor in Art History, distributed as follows:
- Required Courses (9 credits)
- Electives (9 credits)