The online MS Computer Science Degree caters for the local, regional, and international markets. The program ensures depth and breadth in fundamental computer science areas. It is designed to attract working professionals who would like to refresh and/or advance their knowledge and skills especially with the rapid growth of the computer science discipline. It requires 18 credits in the core area that includes a practical project. Moreover, it allows students to choose from four emphasis areas (3 specific and one general).
The mission of the Computer Science program is to provide students with the ability to integrate the theory and practice of computing in the representation, processing, and use of information while upholding tradition of the liberal arts education.
Program Educational Objectives
The program aims to:
- prepare graduates for computer science related careers with advanced knowledge and expertise in the computing field,
- prepare graduates for postgraduate studies with the ability to conduct independent research in the computing field.
The requirements for admission include having earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. The bachelor’s degree final cumulative GPA must be at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent. The candidate’s work history, and other personal qualities will be considered if the GPA requirement is not met.
In case a student’s bachelor’s degree is in an area not (directly) related to computing, then the student is required to take a semester long foundation course.
A total of 30 credits are required as follows:
- Core Area Courses (18 credits)
- Emphasis Area Courses (12 credits)
Core Area Courses (18 credits)
- CSC611 Design and Analysis of Algorithms (3 cr.)
- CSC616 Cryptography and Data Security (3 cr.)
- CSC617 Fundamentals of Data Science (3 cr.)
- CSC618 Fundamentals of Computer Networks (3 cr.)
- CSC619 Fundamentals of Database Systems (3 cr.)
- CSC698 Project (3 cr.)
Emphasis Area Courses (12 credits)
Choose any 12 credits from the courses below:
Emphasis 1 – Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
- CSC660 Artificial Intelligence: Principles and Techniques (3 cr.)
- CSC662 Fundamentals of Deep Learning (3 cr.)
- CSC664 Advanced Machine Learning (3 cr.)
- CSC666 Artificial Intelligence Methods for Natural Language Processing (3 cr.)
- CSC668 Data Visualization (3 cr.)
Emphasis 2 – Secure Computing and Networks
- CSC630 Blockchain Systems (3 cr.)
- CSC634 Network Programming (3 cr.)
- CSC635 Internet of Things (IoT) (3 cr.)
- CSC636 Networks Security (3 cr.)
- CSC638 Computer Forensics (3 cr.)
Emphasis 3 – General Pathway
- Any 12 credits from the choice of elective modules above.