MTH306 Non-Linear Dynamics Chaos
[3–0, 3 cr.]
This course covers the topics of iteration, fixed and periodic points, graphical analysis of iteration, stable and unstable orbits, attracting and repelling periodic points, iterations of a quadratic family, Julia sets, Mandelbrot sets, fractals, and chaos.
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Students will be able to iterate functions, identify the orbits of seed values and analyze graphically such orbits.
- Students will be able to find fixed points and identify them as repelling, attracting, or neutral. Students will also understand bifurcations.
- Students will have a complete understanding of the real and complex quadratic families.
- Students will be able to construct the Cantor Set and measure its length, construct the Sierpinski Triangle and measure its area, construct the Koch Curve and measure its perimeter.
- Students will learn about the Julia and Manderbolt Sets.