ENV224 World Ocean Solutions
[3–0, 3 cr.]
More than 70% of earth surface is water, leaving less than 30% for human utilization for various activities. Around 361,130,976 square kilometers is the total surface area of water on earth that has proven to be rich in resources and potential. Human have started benefiting from these resources mainly focusing on fishing and oil extraction, but there is more potential than just this. The terrifyingly growing population that is expected to exceed 9 billion in2050, and the depletion of resources, together put a lot of pressure on food, water, and energy supplies, thus threaten biodiversity and contribute to climate deterioration. This course explores untapped potential within the world ocean (oceans and seas) and studies its capacity in providing human basic needs to reduce food, water, and energy supply stress.