Mission & Vision
The LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine’s mission is to educate and train a new generation of physicians, superbly trained in the art and science of medicine and who believe profoundly that a physician is, above all, a merciful healer.
Vision of a “New Physician”
While Lebanese, regional, and global needs and opportunities, and the University’s Strategic Plan, all support a promising vision for the new medical school at LAU, the truly inspiring drive for such a school is the opportunity to educate and train a unique new medical graduate. The abiding character of the School is determined by the kind of physician it graduates. Indeed, the Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine at LAU has been conceived and designed to create a new physician, one who is superbly trained in the skills of 21st century medicine, but who believes deeply that a physician is, above all, a merciful healer.
The integrated curriculum embraced, with its reliance on small group, self-directed, patient-based learning and its emphasis on the patient, rather than the disease, develops the depth of character and the insight into human nature required of the graduating physician. The School vision has been integrated in the pre-medical requirements by including philosophy, history, literature, religious studies, music, and art.
The medical school curricula also encompass requirements for competencies in areas in which doctors today find themselves significantly challenged. The first is “Money”. The intrusion of ‘money’ into the medical profession remains a major challenge for most doctors. Unfortunately, mixing business with medicine has too often detracted from the status of the profession and, more ominously, its mission. At LAU, the role of money in the practice of medicine is addressed during medical training. In collaboration with the LAU Adnan Kassar School of Business, curricular offerings addressing aspects of finance and business which impact on the medical profession will be required of LAU medical students.
In collaboration with the LAU School of Pharmacy and School of Nursing, the medical school requires its graduates to be well versed in, self-confident, and ethically transparent in their professional interactions with the pharmaceutical industry, and with emerging global therapeutic and healing trends and technologies.
A third area of emphasis is the fostering of skills aimed at preparing students to meet the “changing science and practice of medicine as life-long learners.” Self -improvement and critical thinking are crucial for this process, and are also totally incorporated in the School’s curriculum.
Mawad, Michel, M.D.
Hijazi, Zeinat, M.D., Medical Education
- Bahous, Sola, M.D., Ph.D., Clinical Affairs
- Chatila, Rajaa, M.D., Graduate Medical Education
- Abdalla, Eddie, M.D., Surgery
- Abi Nader, Elie, M.D., Anesthesiology Acting
- Bejjani, Noha, M.D., Pathology Acting
- Bleik, Jamal, M.D., Ophthalmology Interim
- Farhat, Hussein, M.D., Laboratory Medicine Acting
- Mahfoud, Daniel, M.D., Radiology Acting
- Tannous, Zeina, M.D., Dermatology
- Wakim, Gerard, M.D., Pediatrics Acting
- Zreik, Tony, M.D., M.B.A., Obstetrics and Gynecology
Faculty and Staff
- Abdalla, Eddie, M.D., Chair of the Department of Surgery, Head of the Division of Surgical Oncology
- Hijazi, Zeinat, M.D., Associate Dean for Medical Education
- Mokhbat, Jacques, M.D.
- Zreik, Tony, M.D., M.B.A., Chair of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Abi Raad, Yazbeck Karam, Vanda, M.D., MHPE, Director of the Clinical Simulation Center, Program Director of Anesthesia
- Ahdab, Rechdi, MD, PhD, Clerkship Director of Neurology
- Azar, Riad, M.D., Head of the Division of Gastroenterology
- Bahous, Sola, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Dean for Clinical Affairs
- Chatila, Rajaa, M.D., Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education, Residency Program Director of Internal Medicine
- Coussa-Koniski Marie-Louise, M.D., Head of the Division of Pulmonary Diseases
- Deeb, Marie, Ph.D.
- El Hakim, Tannous, Zeina, M.D., Chair of the Department of Dermatology
- Ghanem Georges, M.D., FACC, FESC, Head of the Division of Cardiology
- Ghannam Nemr, Rita, M.D.
- Hayek, Tony, M.D.
- Hirbli, Kamal, M.D., Head of the Division of Endocrinology
- Naoum, Joseph, M.D.
- Nasser, Selim, M.D.
- Riachi, Naji, M.D., Head of the Department of Neurology, Director of the EEG/ EMG Lab
- Samaha, Husni, Roula, M.D., Head of the Division of Infectious Diseases, Head of the Infection Control Program
- Zeineh, Salim, M.D, Head of the Division of Urology
- Abillama, Fayez Francois, M.D., Acting Head of the Division of ICU, Director of Inhalation Therapy Services
- Abi Nader, Elie, M.D., Acting Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology
- Abi Nader, Khalil, M.D.,
- Abi Gerges, Aniella, Ph.D.
- Assi, Chahine, M.D., Acting Head of the Division of Orthopedic Surgery
- Awdeh, Adnan, M.D., Clerkship Director of Surgery
- Barakat, Hanan, M.D., Clerkship Director of Anesthesiology
- Bouclaous, Carmel, Ph.D.
- Chedid, Nancy, M.D.
- Dunya, Ibrahim, M.D.
- Dunya, Malko, M.D.
- El-Amm, Joelle,M.D.
- El-Asmar Nadia, M.D.
- El Ferzli, Julie, M.D.
- El Hachem, Lena, M.D.
- El Khoury, Joe, M.D., Acting Head of the Division of Interventional Therapeutics
- Farhat, Hussein, M.D., Acting Chair of the Department of Laboratory Medicine
- Farra, Anna, M.D., Ph.D.
- Faour Wissam, Ph.D.
- Ghanem, Hady, M.D.
- Hani, Abeer, M.D.
- Hamalian, Carole, M.D.
- Hubayter, Ziad, M.D.
- Karam, Albert, M.D.,
- Khoury, Alfred, M.D.
- Kikano, Raghid, M.D.
- Kilany, Hala, M.D.
- Mahfoud, Daniel, M.D., Acting Chair of the Department of Radiology
- Matar, Maroun, M.D., Acting Head of the Division of Neonatology, Clerkship Director of Pediatrics
- Nasser, Rima, M.D.
- Nassif, Anis, M.D., Vice Chair of the Department of Radiology
- Stephan, Joseph, Ph.D.
- Saade, Rami, M.D.
- Tarcha, Walid, M.D.
- Wakim, Gerard, M.D., Acting Chair of the Department of Pediatrics
- Youssef, Nazih, M.D., Clerkship Director of Surgery, Program Director of Urology
- Abbas, Khairat, M.D.
- Abou Ghazal, Mohamed, M.D.
- Al Jalbout, Yara, M.D.
- Chahine, Caroline, M.D.
- Doueihi, Bejjani, Noha, M.D., Acting Chair of the Department of Pathology, Clerkship Director of Pathology
- Ferzli, Antoine, M.D.
- Gerges, Bassam, M.D.
- Helou, Mariana, M.D.
- Rizk, Tamina, M.D.
- Sakr, Rania, M.D.
- Shehade, Mohammad, M.D.
- Yammine, Joseph, M.D.
- Abou Khalil, Pamela, M.S., Senior Science Lab Technician
- Abboud Abi Saad, Rana, Teaching Diploma, Medical Education Administrator
- Assaf, Rebecca, M.S., Assistant Medical Education Administrator
- Attieh, Hadil, B.S., Medical Education Lead Officer, Office of Clinical Affairs
- Bahri, Rudy, BSN, DESM, MBA, Clinical Simulation Lab Coordinator
- Chahine, May, B.A., Academic Assistant, Office of the Dean
- El-Chammas, Nelly, DHQM, BSN, Senior Clinical Simulation Lab Coordinator
- El-Khoury, Elsy, MBA, Assistant Medical Education Administrator
- Faour, Roula, MBA, Lead Executive Assistant, Office of the Dean
- Naaman, Maysoon, B.S., Medical Education Lead Officer, Office of Medical Education
- Naim, Lama, M.S., Lead Program Administrator
- Salloum, Angelique, M.S., Assessment Officer
- Sobh, Rania, Licence Technique, Lead Science Lab Supervisor
- Tashjian, Kayane, M.P.H., Junior Program Administrator, Graduate Medical Education
- Abi Hatem, Carla, Academic Assistant, Office of Clinical Affairs
- Akiki, Rana, Licence, Simulation & Research Assistant
- Al Halabi, Lena, B.A., Academic Assistant
- Boubtaina, Rayan, B.B.A., Academic Assistant, Office of the Dean
- Dagher, Christel, B.S., Academic Assistant/ Lab Technician
- Hariz, Lara, B.S., Assessment Officer, Graduate Medical Education
- Hneini El-Khoury, Dania, Academic Assistant, Graduate Medical Education
- Moussa, Hiba, B.S., Academic Assistant, Graduate Medical Education
- Zeineddine, Nour, B.A., Academic Assistant, Office of the Dean