The English Department offers a unique B.A. Program in English with three separate tracks: literature, language, and creative writing, as well as a minor in English. The Department occupies a central position in the University’s Liberal Arts & Sciences Curriculum (LASC), offering literature and language courses that are interdisciplinary in nature and not restricted to one particular period or genre. The broad range of our courses allows students to pursue graduate degrees in many related multidisciplinary fields of study.
Operating on both Beirut and Byblos campuses, the Department of English also acts as a major service department by offering academic English language courses, ranging from intensive and remedial to advanced levels, for the entire University community.
Our mission is to provide students with literary, linguistic, and creative writing competence, preparing them for graduate studies in related fields as well as widening their range of career opportunities.
Students who graduate from our program will be prepared for professional creative writing and field-related careers, as well as for graduate programs in English Studies, Comparative Literature, and other interdisciplinary fields, in Lebanon and abroad.
For this reason, the Department of English works closely together with the B.A. Programs in Translation, Arabic, History, Philosophy, and Communication Arts, so that students broaden their horizons through elective courses.
Degrees and Minors Offered
Faculty and Staff
- Cathia Jenainati, Ph.D., Comparative Literature Dean
- Dany Badran, Ph.D., English Studies & Critical Linguistics
- Luma Balaa, Ph.D., English Studies
- Nuwar Diab, Ed.D., Applied Linguistics & TESOL
- Rula Diab, Ph.D., Applied Linguistics/TEFL
- Victor Khachan, Ph.D., Applied Linguistics Chair
- Sleiman El Hajj, Ph.D. Creative and Journalistic Writing
- George Sadaka, Ph.D., English Literature
- Marianne Marroum, Ph.D., Comparative Literature
- Paula Habre, M.A., TEFL
- Nermine Hage, M.A., TEFL
- Therese Nasrallah, M.S., English/Applied Linguistics
- Giselle Pempedjian, M.S., Educational Leadership/English
- Mona Shahine, M.A., TEFL
- Maya Akiki, M.A., Comparative Literature
- Reine Azzi, M.A., European Humanities/English emphasis
- Nadia-Gabriella Bhuiyan, M.A. English Language
- Evelyn Chatila, M.A., Education/TESOL
- Deema Dakakni, M.A., Education/TESOL
- Dana Eido, M.A., Comparative Literature
- Maha Tabet-El Ghazal, M.A., Comparative Literature
- Deliah Taoum, M.A., English Literature
- Amy Yusuf, M.A., English Language
- Carla Farah, Senior Academic Assistant Beirut
- Elisabeth Adrian Hardan, Lead Academic Assistant Byblos
Ms. Carla Farah
Senior Academic Assistant, Beirut campus
Phone number: Extension 1170
Office: Nicole Hall 420B
Elisabeth Adrian Hardan
Lead Academic Assistant-Byblos campus
Phone number: Extension 2872
Office: Block A, Level 7