Minor in Mathematics
The objective of the Mathematics minor is to provide students with a strong background in the skills of logic, reasoning, and critical thinking. More precisely the objectives aim to:
- Cover basic topics of a major in mathematics and supplements the students with elective courses from various mathematical fields.
- Provide courses designed for students who plan to pursue a graduate degree in Mathematics or in Education with an emphasis in Mathematics.
Students who successfully complete the Mathematics minor will be able to:
- Exhibit an understanding of the nature of mathematics;
- Reason with abstract concepts; and
- Follow complex mathematical arguments and develop their own mathematical arguments.
The following courses totaling 18 credits are recommended for the Minor in Mathematics. The minor can be taken by students from any major.
|Mathematical Core Requirements||9 credits|
|Mathematical Electives||9 credits|
The program requires students to complete core requirements that provide a sound mathematical and computer science foundation. In addition, students are required to take elective courses that provide advanced knowledge and skills.
Mathematical Core Requirements (9 credits):
- MTH201 / Calculus III (3 cr.)
- MTH207 / Discrete Structures I (3 cr.)
- MTH311 / Abstract Algebra (3 cr.) or MTH401 / Real Analysis 1 (3 cr.)
Mathematics Electives (9 credits):
Students should successfully complete three courses from the list of electives below:
|MTH206||Calculus IV (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH301||Linear Algebra (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH302||Geometry (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH303||Numerical Methods (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH304||Differential Equations (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH305||Probability and Statistics (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH306||Non-linear Dynamics & Chaos (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH307||Discrete Structures II (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH308||Number Theory (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH309||Graph Theory (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH311||Abstract Algebra (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH401||Introduction to Real Analysis (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH409||Introduction to Topology (3 cr.)||3|
|MTH498||Topics in Mathematics (3 cr.)||3|
Last modified: April 6, 2016